The Team Tesla volunteer program was developed to help local area youth grow their leadership skills while assisting Mid-America Science Museum educators as Camp Assistants.
This opportunity introduces students ages 14-18 to the world of volunteering in an environment that fosters a passion for science, engineering, technology, and math.
Team Tesla participants are selected from a pool of applicants who complete the application process. The 2018 deadline for applications is May 4, 2018.
Those selected to move forward will be scheduled for an interview. At least one parent or guardian must attend the interview with the student. Successful candidates will be notified by Monday, May 28th.
This process provides teens an opportunity to develop much-needed workforce skills that they will need in the future. Selected applicants will have additional opportunities to participate in the ongoing teen volunteer program.
Please complete the application packet if you are able to answer yes to the following questions:
- Will you be at least 14 by June 1, 2018?
- Are you able to volunteer Monday through Friday for your assigned morning or afternoon camp? Morning camp shifts are 8:00-1:00. Afternoon camp shifts are 12:00-5:00.
- Are you able to commit to a minimum of 2 camps and a maximum of 3 camps? Each camp is five days, Monday-Friday.
- Will you be able to fulfill these program application requirements:
- Complete the volunteer application and all associated forms
- Submit a one half page response to the question “Why would you like to volunteer at Mid-America Science Museum?”
- Submit two letters of reference, one from a teacher or school counselor you have had in the past 2 years and one from a community member who is not related to you.
- Attend a scheduled interview accompanied by a parent/guardian
Click here to download the 2018 Team Tesla Application.
Deadline for the receipt of the completed application packet is Friday, May 18, 2018.
Please return the completed application to: Irene Perros, Volunteer Coordinator, email@example.com or mail to Mid-America Science Museum, 500 Mid-America Blvd, Hot Springs, AR 71913.
Team Tesla Volunteer Program Camp Assistant Duties
- Interact with the campers in a positive manner during sessions and breaks.
- Gather feedback from the campers in casual conversation as instructed by educator.
- Provide general assistance during program and lab activities.
- Be an active participant in the class and lead by example.
- Assist with activities and help campers follow specific directions given by the educator.
- Assist in supervision of the class during the programs and labs.
- Contribute to the cleanup effort and encourage campers to help clean as well.
- Help set up the room with necessary materials; arrange tables, chairs, posters, props, etc.
- Help monitor the campers’ behavior during free time in the Museum Galleries.
- Keep your group of campers together.
- Help campers explore the interactive exhibits by reading exhibit instructions, demonstrating the activity, etc.
- Assist during the snack and lunch breaks.
- Assist campers in unwrapping difficult food items (juice box straws, etc.)
- Help with the cleanup effort and be willing to clean spills, crumbs, etc.
- Assist with bathroom breaks and keep campers together.